Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Revelations 2:4 – Christ Plus

Daily Devotional Bible Verse
But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. (Revelation 2:4 ESV)
When I first came to Christ, I was totally in love with him. I didn’t think about much else besides him and his word. After about a year, though, I lost my first love. I wanted Christ, but it was Christ, plus. At first, it was Christ, plus a husband. Then Christ, plus a family. It went on to be Christ, plus a house, then Christ plus a ministry.
During those years of Christ plus, I was never completely happy. I was looking to those other things for my ultimate fulfillment, and yet they fell short. I didn’t realize that they were supposed to fall short. Nothing can ever meet the deepest needs of my heart except Christ.
It has taken many years for the Lord to bring me back. Now, Christ is the first love of my life. I do have a husband, family, house and ministry but they do not compete for my ultimate affection. That alone is reserved for Christ.
Prayer for today: Lord Jesus Christ, I ask your forgiveness for placing my affection on other things than you. Help me to love you more than anyone or anything. Amen.
-- Short Daily Devotions

No comments: