Monday, September 26, 2016

2 PETER 3:8 – STILL WAITING

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. (2 Peter 3:8 ESV)
To distract myself from the tedium of doing laundry the other day, I decided to bring my “write it down” book. I just write stuff in it whenever the mood hits me. The thoughts which compelled me to tuck the book into my laundry bag, along with the mountain of laundry, had been with me for a couple days and were thoughts I knew very well.
“How do you continue to wait on God, with expectancy, as the days drag on with no answer or reprieve?”
Someone close to my heart finds herself in such a state; waiting on God to fulfill His promise to her. It has been a long time coming. Over the years, she has endured much hurt and grief, lost her hope, been discouraged, grown weary and shed countless tears of despair and longing. She has asked countless silent questions in her heart. Voiced many “how long Lord?” questions while on her knees.
Sometimes the God of the Universe, yet still the personal God of her solitary heart, breaks into her waiting with his intimate voice, “I KNOW IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME. I SEE AND I KNOW. I WILL DO WHAT I SAY I WILL DO. REMAIN FAITHFUL MY DAUGHTER.”
It isn’t a light thing when God speaks. His word is power and never returns void (Isaiah 55:11).
So what do you do after He speaks; when you know there will be yet more waiting? You open your Bible and read again the tear-stained pages of Habakkuk 2:3-4 and Lamentations 3:21-26. You focus on truth in the midst of the hurt (Phil 4:8). You talk to yourself to fight the discouragement, like David did (Psalm 42:5, 11).
Although at times she grows weary in the wait, she endeavors to not faint (Psalm 27:13).
She believes and knows two things about the Father and His heart:
-She knows He is faithful – Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful (Hebrews 10:23).
-She knows He does not lie – God is not human, that he should lie. (Numbers 23:19)
Despite the length of her wait, the ups/downs of her hope, she always returns to her expectant anticipation of God’s promise. She is an example, whether she knows it or not.
Waiting on God is a day-by-day thing; maybe, minute-by-minute! Either way, His grace is sufficient. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

No comments: